FOREWORD: “….Andrew leaves his indelible mark, by taking the reader from a level of ignorance to that of reasonable competency, to understand what Mentorship is about, regardless of the reader’s experience. It covers areas of measurability infused with know-how. “Uncommon Mentorship” will rattle a few cages, and rightfully so, I must add”- Dr AR Ramesh Nambiar, Developer & Mentor to Conscious Entrepreneurial Leaders, International Professional Speakers & Trainers
DO YOU KNOW THAT… A mentoring relationship is a symbiotic win-win-win for three parties: the employee who seeks a mentor, the mentor and the organization employing the mentoring pair. If you are an employee and want a great mentor show you the way, be passionate about life and excel first in your work. Mentors will come looking for you. And, if you own a business, institutionalise mentorship programs and watch your business grow. Mentors help articulate your goals and journey with you to reach them, surpassing new heights every now and then. Today, not having mentors is like living in the stone-age, with a chisel and hammer; re-inventing the wheel out of stone. But, before you choose a mentor, look at the mentors who are mentoring them. Apples do not fall far from the tree.
“Mentorship must lead to a desired outcome; without which it is useless chatter”- Andrew James Ong
ASK YOURSELF… If you have a mentor, are you better off today than when you first submitted to mentorship? How do you know the mentors are right for you? Do you have different mentors for different aspects of your life goals? Do you surround yourself with “yes-men” or with “men-tors”? These and many other issues about “mentorship” are de-mystified and simplified in “Uncommon Mentorship”.
“If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself.”- ALBERT EINSTEIN. (foto Einstein)
A direct, simple, straightforward, ground-breaking new approach, this book challenges existing understanding about “mentorship”. After the first chapter, you will be illuminated and challenged to surround yourself with real mentors.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR Andrew James Ong
- Mentored business leaders in more than 35 countries
- Survived four near-death traumas, including two heart attacks
- Survived harsh poverty in early childhood and is today, financially independent
- Survived numerous setbacks during his illustrious 21-year military career, including forgiving the perpetrators who tried to kill him in a grenade attack. He speaks passionately about “forgiveness”
- Achieved the MDRT in less than two months, an exceptional feat in the insurance industry
- Nominated Singapore Insurance Practitioner of the Year 2001.
- Authored “Common To Uncommon”, a book about razor-sharpening life skills and attitudes for empowerment and purposeful living..
- Authored “An Uncommon Nation”, celebrating 50 of the finest of Singapore’s distinct triumphs through the trials and tribulations of her first 50 years of independence
- Leading efforts to help the diabetics in Asia, Europe and beyond regain their health.
- Empowering individuals, audiences and organisations to maximise potential in the region; in person, in print, on radio and television and through social media.
REVIEWS AND PRAISES FOR “UNCOMMON MENTORSHIP”
1. “An amazing step-by-step guide to mentorship-brilliant”- Edwin Guibao, Quality Assurance Manager of Afnan Water Factory Co. Ltd. Alrajhi group of Companies, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
2. “Andrew dares to challenge contemporary myths about mentorship and lays straight what mentorship is and is not.”- Albert Wong, OC, Security Consultant, Ex-SAF Officer, Bible Teacher & Counsellor, Singapore
3. “Another masterpiece”- Johnny Sy, Entrepreneur-Inventor, Baguio, Philippines
4. “The desired outcome following mentorship must be SMART-aligned! Brilliant!”- Leila Ayo, Businesswomen, Entrepreneur, Philippines
5. “Andrew clarifies and simplifies mentorship for the lay person… It can’t be rendered any simpler”- Eugene Chia, Entrepreneur, Singapore
6. “Every household must own a copy; every human being must own a copy”- Veronica Paran Dawayen, Entrepreneur, Health and Wellness Advocate, La Trinidad, Benguet. Philippines
7. “Nobody likes to be told of their blind spots.. it can be humbling”- Joshua Lim, Professional Medical Rep, Singapore
8. “Clear and simple. Brilliant insights”- Cora Dado Elizaga, (The Tarpaulin Girl), Owner, CDE Advertising, Marikina, Philippines
9. “The secrets to mentorship are now revealed”- Vincent Soo, Psychology Coach, Singapore
10. “Andrew has put his talent to good use- a supreme contribution to the mentorship community”- Alaine Fajardo, Businesswoman, Entrepreneur, Philippines
11. “Mentorship benefits the mentee, the mentor and the organisation who employs the mentoring pair”- Sharon Fernandez, Associate Financial Consultant, Singapore
12. "Struggle no more. Help is available. Find mentors to journey with you."- Brother James Dante, "THE HEART OF JESUS ,Baguio City – Philippines
13. “Mentorship extraordinarily explained; simple, direct and clear”- Pastor Ferdinand M. De Leon, Senior Pastor of Global Harvesters Full Gospel Church, Jalan Pemimpin, Singapore
14. “Mentorship can extend to cover every human endeavour, including in government, political, religious and spiritual organisations”- Jingle Corral Gallardo, Entrepreneur, Businesswoman, Senior Beauty Consultant, Philippines
15. “Now, I can embark my mentorship journey, fearlessly and with wisdom” - Michael Leong, Business Lecturer, Singapore
16. “Just like the earlier “Uncommon” titles, “Uncommon Mentorship” is a handbook for life and living.”- Ptr.Benjie M. Calamiong, Senior Pastor, Multinational Faith Bible Chapel Ministries, Baguio City, Philippines
17. “Andrew dispels the myths surrounding mentorship”- Andrew Chia, International Best-Selling Author
18. “Poignant and direct, it pierces deep and let you do some real thinking” Madonna Tolentino Norcio, Senior Sales Director, Mary Kay Philippines Inc
19. “Andrew weaves through the vicissitudes of politics and public opinion with regard to mentorship; what it is and is not.” Richard Ng, Entrepreneur, Singapore
20. "Irrespective of our circumstances, how well we live our lives, depend on how well we understand how lives can best be lived." Rev. Rodel N. Fortes, License Minister of the Gospel. Connie B. Fortes, National Directorial Staff/ National Coordinator Values Formation and Spiritual Transformation Council Phil., Int'l. Inc. Camp Crame, Quezon City, Philippines
21. “The “GRASSHOPPUR” rules of engagement is creative and all-encompassing. I am amazed beyond words”. Stephanie Chanel Ng, Entrepreneur, Singapore
22. “Nobody likes to submit to mentorship. It can be an exercise of great humility.”- Mr. Policarpio Gutierrez and Mrs. Rose Gutierrez, Real Estate Brokers, Philippines
23. “A mentor who is a critical ally can help you see your blind spots. This is the mentorship manual for all life’s situations for the 21st century”- Jeremiah Chin, LifeMentorCOACHtrainer, Singapore
24. “Andrew is uniquely clear and he makes simple and practical how to tackle mentorship”-Christine Roque, Businesswomen, Entrepreneur, Philippines
25. “Direct, systematic and organised…… and to the point.”- Janet Wong, Entrepreneur, Singapore
26. “Studies continue to confirm that those who have mentors consistently do exponentially better than those who have not”- Ferdinand Bravo, Engineer and former editor of Focal Magazine in Israel, Business Owner. Baguio, Philippines
27. “Andrew at his best; clear, direct, truthful- a gift to the coaching and mentoring community”-Jessica Reyes-Ting, Industrial Engineer, Organization Development Consultant-Manila Bulletin Publishing, Philippines
Andrew James Ong, +65 9022 1786; email@example.com
Unit 04-16, Lucky Plaza, 304 Orchard Road, Singapore 238863